Friday, August 16, 2013

Why Do We Do What We Do? Part II

As you learned from my last post I was getting ready to retire from the Marine Corps and was getting my MA in Physical Education and Recreation.  After taking an athletic training class I thought this would be a perfect second career for me.  I think most of you are aware that Marines tend to be in good physical condition.  I read a lot about running and weight lifting and informed myself about those subjects while in the Corps.  The athletic training class taught me about another aspect of physical fitness, injury prevention and rehabilitation.  I was the oldest person in the class at age 42.  I enjoyed working with the young athletes in the class.  This atmosphere was a little like the Marine Corps;  people worked hard, fought through setbacks (injuries)  and did their best to reach a common goal.

I was lucky enough to intern under a great athletic trainer at a local high school.  My schedule was a little hectic.  I did physical fitness training with the midshipmen at 0530 (5:30 AM), taught class, counseled students, went to class and, at the end of my official work day, I went to the local high school to do my training.  I tried to get home on the weekends, my family lived 3.5 hours away.  After I retired, I substitute taught and continued my intern training at the same high school my children attended.  I bet they loved having dad roam the hallways.

Finally, I had my intern hours done and took the National Athletic Trainers Board of Certification test.  A three part, all day test.  I waited for the results and when they came I was disappointed.  To become an athletic trainer one had to pass all three parts, I passed two parts easily, but missed the other part by 1 point.  I had to retake that portion of the test.  A few months later I finished that requirement and received my certification as an athletic trainer.  It took hours of study and intern time, but the hard work paid off.  

After my children grew up and left home, my wife and I decided we wanted to move back to the east coast.  We both grew up in New Jersey, went to the same high school and started dating way back then.  We had lived in Virginia during my time in the Marines and really loved the area.  Carol took a job in Harrisonburg and I followed.  I worked at Massanutten, as a life guard.  Then I worked at the Rockingham Memorial Hospital 's wellness center as a personal trainer, maintenance man and life guard.  I soon became the aquatic' supervisor.  This was a very time consuming job, and I was not happy.  After a short employ with a security company, I moved up to the very high profile job of cutting grass at Massanutten Resort for the summer.  You learn to do what you have to do to earn a living.  This grass cutting job really makes for a great conversation when people tell me that Americans will not do that kind of work. 

Then it happened, Carol saw an ad in the newspaper.  Mary Baldwin College was looking for an athletic trainer.  I applied, met with Sharon our Athletic Director and the rest, as they say, is history.  I have to admit, I was a little concerned about being at an all women's college.  However, it has turned out great.  I love working with young people.  I think it helps to keep me young, at least in my heart.  The body may get old, but the mind and spirit do not have to follow.  I do this because I like the people I work with, the small campus and the students.  I think I can help young women become better athletes and, more importantly better people.

If you have read all of this and are still awake good for you.  I hope you can see that the journey through life takes many twists and turns.  In high school I didn't even know there was a thing called an athletic trainer.  I have traveled around the country and the world.  I have settled in on of the most beautiful areas in the world.  Take the time to look around.  Enjoy life.  Do every job to the best of your ability.  Don't be afraid to try something different.  There is no job that is below you.  Keep your head up and March on Squirrels!!

No comments:

Post a Comment